Streamstown Celtic B Match Report vs Borrisokane FC B

Streamstown Celtic B hosted Borrisokane Fc B in the first of a double header at the Fanure ground on Sunday last. It proved to be a disappointing day for both sides but two very enjoyable games for the spectators.

Borrisokane flew out of the traps and raced into an early lead, Streamstown heads dropped after the first goal and Borrisokane piled the pressure on adding 2 more first half goals. Ian Hanrahan was extremely unlucky between the sticks making a few fine saves. After a rousing half time team talk from manager Jason Curry the home side improved drastically in the second half. They were putting on the pressure but couldn’t find the important goal to get them back in the game, However a Mikey Kirwan free kick was glanced goalwards by Cronan Murphy and after a great save from the keeper Colm Ryan smashed the ball home to give them a huge lift. Their joy was shortlived as Borrisokane immediately raced down the left wing and finished to make it 4-1 and the game was over as a contest. Murty Grimes had a fine late goal ruled out for offside and substitutes James Kirwan and Paul Simmons both had chances but couldn’t find the net. Manager Curry was delighted with the second half efforts of his players and assured them they will have better days.


Cloughjordan were the visitors for a Munster Junior Cup tie with revenge on their minds as only weeks before they had fallen to a surprising defeat at the hands of Streamstown Celtic in the FAI Junior Cup. The hoops were once again dominant in the first half and the first goal was surely one of the best in the club’s history, it began with some brilliant interchange down the right between Craig Phelan and Craig Byrne, one touch football into the feet of Doyle who’s clever pass once again found Phelan who had continued his run, he cut it back to the edge of the six yard box for Wally Kirwan to calmly finish an unbelievable team goal. Just before halftime they made it 2-0 and once again it was Craig Phelan causing havoc down the right. He beat his man and cut back for Paul Doyle to finish from almost the same spot as the first goal. Brian Franks and Craig Byrne were winning the midfield battle. However there was still time for Cloughjordan to get a lifeline in the shape of a penalty and although Jason Ryan was extremely unlucky the ball crept under his hands and found the net. 2-1 at halftime and although Streamstown were well on top it was obvious this was a very good Cloughjordan team and the second half was going to be tough.

The visitors came out strong and made it 2-2 through Dean O Meara, a stunning individual goal with his left foot. Clough had the chance to go 3-2 up when a refereeing error (as he later admitted) gave them a penalty after a great Darren Wrenn tackle. The spot kick was blazed high and wide and justice was served. The home side took the lead once again when Darren Wrenn and Shane Moloney combined well down the left, Wrenns cross was blocked by an arm and Buddy Byrne smashed home the resulting penalty. Clough were not finished and they made their physical size tell as they made it 3-3 and then 4-3 up with two more set piece goals. Wally Kirwan then curled home a beautiful 25 yard free kick (evidence to follow) and this dramatic game was 4-4. Cloughjordan stepped it up again and added 2 more goals as the home side struggled to deal with the physicality of the huge Clough men. The game finished an entertaining 6-4 and it really was a joy to watch. Lots of positives for Streamstown, James Kirwan and Shabby Loughnane were delighted with the efforts of their players and it once again showed they are capable of competing with the best in North Tipp.

Best of luck to both Cloughjordan and Borrisokane B for the rest of the season and thank you again to all our supporters!!