Ballymackey FC Notes – Oct 20th

U13: Ballymackey Under 13s drew 3-3 away to Nenagh AFC in an entertaining encounter in Brickfields. Ballymackey took the lead after 10 minutes, some neat football started by left back Cathal Spillane released Kenneth Ryan down to left and he crossed for Kieran Boyle to finish to the net. Ballymackey looked comfortable and relatively untroubled throughout the opening period until the last minute when a clumsy tangle of feet resulted in a converted penalty to Nenagh to tie the game at the half way point. Nenagh had much the better start to the second half, a combination of poor work rate and critical defensive errors saw Nenagh surge to a 2 goal lead by the midpoint of the first half. Ballymackey were shell shocked and a capitulation looked on hand but the hard working Cathal Delaney along with Aoibhín Delaney started to win the physical exchanges in the middle of the park. This set the tone for an improved work ethic for the visitors who established a foothold in the game with the talented Eamon White starting to dictate the game dropping deep to demand the ball and setting up telling attacks. Good play saw Kenneth Ryan break through the home sides defence to cooly slot home his 12th goal of the season. The equaliser looked lightly at this stage and duly arrived when Eamon White scored to goal of the day, a terrific first time strike from 25 yards after been put in the clear by a telling through ball. The match finished 3-3 a reasonable result for Ballymackey who showed character to fight back from behind after gifting the home side 3 goals through bad errors. David Haverty, Eoin Healy and the prolific Kenneth Ryan can be well pleased with their efforts in the game.

U15: Ballymackey travelled to Killavilla looking for two wins fro two and won 3-1. Ballymackey dominated the opening 15 minutes and Aidan White converted a penalty. The remainder of the half was dominated by Killavilla who levelled it before half time. Against a strong wind in the 2nd half, Ballymackey hit hard on the break and Aidan White grabbed a hat-trick to cap a great individual performance. Darragh Spillane was outstanding, Owen Osman caused all sorts of problems, Mark Carey sstood tall and Damien Bergin grew stronger each minute of the game. Confidence is high with Nenagh next up.

The Ballymackey U16 team that defeated Aisling Annacotty in the National Cup recently
The Ballymackey U16 team that defeated Aisling Annacotty in the National Cup recently

Youths: Ballymackey played Birdhill in the first match of the league which turned out to be a more one-sided game than imagined. Ballymackey scored the first goal with a through ball over the Birdhill defence and John O’Connor finished it off with a sublime chip over the goalkeeper. Ballymackey pushed on again and got the second goal with a cross from Calvin O’Rourke which landed at Denis Haverty’s feet and done very well to tuck it away. Birdhill were putting a lot of pressure of the Ballymackey defence who done well to keep them out until they eventually got in to score their first goal. Ballymackey responded with a goal straight away from a free kick which was taken by Gearoid Murphy. The first half ended with the score 3-1 to Ballymackey. Ballymackey started the second half the same as the first, keeping a lot of pressure on the Birdhill defence. With the Ballymackey defenders and midfield playing great soccer, Tommy Teer added two more goals after Birdhill ghad conceded an own-goal to leave the score 7-2 at the end. John O’Connor was sharp with the ball at his feet and made great runs, Denis Haverty played well while Darragh McDonnell and Alan Ryan cut out most of the pressure at the back. Decii Elderfield was solid in goals too.

Senior B: Ballymackey B travelled to Rearcross B and lost 3-1. Rearcross took the lead around the 38th minute mark and Ballymackey responded 3 minutes later with a goal from Kevin Mounsey to make it 1-1 at half time. The second half saw Rearcross start the better and they went 2-1 up around the 55th minute. A comedy of missed chances then occurred from Ballymackey and after a big mistake, Rearcross put the game to bed with 5 minutes to go. Scoreline 3-1.

Senior A: Ballymackey travelled to Drombane to face Clodiagh Rangers A in the Munster Junior Cup. The Division 2 side made things difficult for the Premier Division side when they went ahead with a lob from the “legendary” Timmy Fleming on the 5th minute. But the lead didn’t last long when the home side struck back. Soon after, Ballymackey took the lead again with some great play from Shane Gibbons to slot the ball back to Robbie O’Gorman to put the ball out of the reach of the goalie. Again the lead didn’t last long when the home side levelled the score. Ballymackey attacked the left side of Coldiagh with Shane Gibbons showing he has magic feet again when he slipped past the Coldiagh defence and set up Gearoid Murphy who finished well. The second half showed great football from both sides with the home side levelling the match early in the half. Both sides pushed for a winner but neither could convert leaving it level after 90 minutes with extra time and penalties to solve the match. Clodiagh eventually won 3-0 on penalties.