All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final – Kilkenny 3-22 Tipperary 1-28

Kilkenny and Tipperary finished level after an exciting game in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final on Sunday September 7th at Croke Park.

All-Ireland SHC: Incredibly, a draw once again


senior hurling

Report from

After 43 years without a replay, the 2012 and 2013 finals finished level, and at the end of an incredible final on Sunday, the scarcely credible scenario of a third replay in a row is now before us.

Incredibly, the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship final has finished level for the third year in a row as Kilkenny and Tipperary played out a remarkable draw at Croke Park on Sunday. The replay will take place at Croke Park on Saturday, September 27.

After 43 years without a replay, the 2012 and 2013 finals finished level, resulting in replay wins for Kilkenny and Clare, and at the end of an incredible final on Sunday, the scarcely credible scenario of a third replay in a row is now before us.
It’s almost impossible to summarise what happened in Sunday’s final, so varied was the drama, so numerous the incident. Here’s an attempt anyway. In an incredibly high-scoring game – four goals and 50 points scored – Tipperary looked like they had snatched it at the end when their fans celebrated in ecstasy after John O’Dywer landed a huge free from well inside his own half.
However, referee Barry Kelly asked for HawkEye’s verdict and the shot was wide according to the score detection system. There was barely any time left and so it was a draw.
Kilkenny had looked set for victory as they led by four points with five minutes to go, but Tipperary finished the game brilliantly and points from Paddy Stapleton, Jason Forde and two from O’Dywer had them level heading towards injury-time.
O’Dywer looked like he had sealed the most incredible finish for Tipp with his late free, but after the initial joy of their fans erupted, the cold reality set in when a miss was announced on the big screen.

john o dwyer

The game to that point had been gripping. Kilkenny had taken their goal chances – TJ Reid and Richie Power finding the net in the second half, with Power also scoring in the first – while Tipperary couldn’t take theirs. They missed penalties in either half through Séamus Callanan and O’Dywer, and also missed other goal chances, often going for green flags when white ones were on.
Tipp had led by two at the break but the goals gave Kilkenny supremacy for much of the second half, and with Richie Hogan giving a brilliant point-scoring display in the second half for Kilkenny, the Cats looked to be heading for victory until the end.

However, inspired by Callanan, Lar Corbett and O’Dywer, Tipperary hung in there and secured the draw.
An enthralling first half ended with just two points separating the teams, Tipperary leading 1-13 to 1-11. However, their lead probably should have been more given the position they held on 22 minutes when Callanan stood over a penalty.
Leading by five points following a goal a minute earlier from Patrick Maher, Callanan went for the jugular and struck for goal, but his effort was blocked on the line and Kilkenny got it away.
It was a decisive moment as just five minutes later, Kilkenny trailed by a single point following a goal from Power and points from Hogan and Michael Fennelly.
The sides were level at 0-6 apiece at the end of the first quarter, with John O’Dwyer and James Woodlock firing over superb scores for Tipperary, and Kilkenny finding their range early on through Eoin Larkin and Reid.
Tipperary enjoyed a dominant spell at the start of the second quarter, and points from Callanan and McGrath were followed by Maher’s brilliant goal, scored when the Lorrha-Dorrha man caught the ball directly from a Darren Gleeson puck-out, surged in on goal and forced it past Eoin Murphy, who probably should have saved what was a weak enough shot.

Maher then won the penalty in a similar move which Callanan missed, but Corbett extended the Tipp lead to six soon afterwards with a fine score. However, then came Power’s goal. The Carrickshock man showed fine composure to retain possession and poke it past Gleeson, after an excellent assist from Reid.
That made it 1-9 to 1-7 and Fennelly’s point left just one between them 10 minutes from the break. The two sides shared the remainder of the points before the interval and Callanan completed the first-half scoring with a free in injury-time to leave Tipperary two clear.
Kilkenny surged into the lead at the start of the second half when Reid cracked in a wonderful individual goal, turning sharply and finishing high to the roof of the net.
The second half then turned into a point-scoring fest, with the sides replying to each other seemingly score for score. Tipperary responded to the Kilkenny goal with points from Shane McGrath and Noel McGrath, Noel’s point levelling the sides for the eighth time.
Tipp were pushing for goals, no-one more so than Larry Corbett, and the enigmatic Thurles man almost found the net on 41 minutes, cracking a brilliant shot off the post.
Then on 49 minutes, Kilkenny found the net at the other end through Power for his second and his side’s third. He finished well after being set up by Michael Fennelly, and that put Kilkenny 3-16 to 1-18 ahead.
The points kept being amassed thereafter by both sides, but with Richie Hogan in strikingly impressive form for Kilkenny, finishing with 0-6 from play, it looked as though the Cats had just too much for their opponents. Tipp were hanging in there though, with Hogan’s main competitor for Hurler of the Year Séamus Callanan matching his point-scoring exploits.
On 60 minutes, Tipperary had a great chance to get back into the game when Corbett won a penalty for his side, storming through on goal before being fouled by Jackie Tyrrell. O’Dywer took it this time, Callanan having missed the first, but the result was the same, the sliotar being blocked on the line by Kilkenny and cleared.

Kilkenny led 3-21 to 1-24 after Hogan and Callanan traded scores again but even the entrance of Henry Shefflin on 66 minutes couldn’t halt Tipperary’s comeback, the Premier County showing tremendous resilience to stay with Kilkenny on the scoreboard when the game looked lost.
Corner back Stapleton got a crucial score in the revival, but John O’Dywer was the main man, the Killenaule youngster firing the key scores to level the sides up after 68 minutes.
It seemed that he had won it as the clock ticked on 72 minutes, the solitary minute of injury time having elapsed, but when HawkEye ruled that his free had actually gone wide, a great sigh – relief for Kilkenny fans, pain for Tipperary fans – rang out across Croke Park. There was no winner.
They meet again in three weeks’ time.

Puckouts: 31-30
Puckouts Won: 14-18
Puckouts Won %: 45%-60%
Shots: 39-34
Scores: 29-25
Shot Efficiency: 74%-74%
Successful Hook/Black/Tackle: 9-11

Scorers for Kilkenny: TJ Reid 1-8 (6f), R Power 2-1, R Hogan 0-6, E Larkin 0-2, C Fennelly 0-1, M Fennelly 0-1, C Fogarty 0-1, W Walsh 0-1, B Hogan 0-1.

Scorers for Tipperary: S Callanan 0-7 (2f), J O’Dywer 0-7 (2f), Patrick Maher 1-1, N McGrath 0-4, L Corbett 0-2, S McGrath 0-2, J Woodlock 0-1, G Ryan 0-1, M Cahill 0-1, P Stapleton 0-1, J Forde 0-1.

KILKENNY: Eoin Murphy; Paul Murphy, JJ Delaney, Jackie Tyrrell; Joey Holden, Brian Hogan, Cillian Buckley; Richie Hogan, Conor Fogarty; Michael Fennelly, Colin Fennelly, TJ Reid; Walter Walsh, Richie Power, Eoin Larkin. Subs: A Fogarty for W Walsh (49), Padraig Walsh for J Holden (61), Henry Shefflin for C Fennelly (67), John Power for R Hogan (71).

TIPPERARY: Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, Pádraic Maher, Paddy Stapleton; Brendan Maher, James Barry, Kieran Bergin; Shane McGrath, James Woodlock; Gearóid Ryan, Patrick Maher, John O’Dywer; Noel McGrath, Séamus Callanan, Larry Corbett. Subs: Michael Cahill for G Ryan (50), Eoin Kelly for J Woodlock (64), Jason Forde for S McGrath (67), John O’Brien for Callanan (71).

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath)

Attendance: 82,179


Report: Arthur Sullivan