The last week in July will see the FAI Festival of Football come to Co. Tipperary.
Each year the FAI selects a different county for this high profile series of events and in 2016 it will be held in Co. Tipperary. With the main event, the F.A.I. Annual General Meeting scheduled for the Clonmel Park Hotel on Saturday 29th July, the previous five days will see a huge amount of novelty games, coaching and fun days. Commencing on Sunday 24th July events will be organised throughout the county, events which will appeal to all ages, adults, boys and girls. Special events will be organised, football celebrities will attend, photo opportunities will be in abundance and there will be goodies distributed to the kids. It will be five days of fun and enjoyment for everyone in North and South Tipperary.
Clubs will be given every opportunity to be part of this unique occasion and are expected to get involved. To explain the details of the Festival the FAI have arranged a meeting at the Horse and Jockey Hotel at 8pm on Thursday 25th February. The meeting will include a twenty minute video on last year’s Festival in Co. Sligo and a timetable of how preparations will take place for Co. Tipperary. Each club is asked to send at least one, preferably two representatives, to this meeting.
This is a unique opportunity to showcase soccer in Co. Tipperary and all clubs are expected to play their part.
Weekly Club Notes
Our senior hurlers claimed victory last weekend over Kiladangan in the county league div 1 to move top of the table with 8 points. They prevailed on a scoreline of 0-26 to 1-18. Next up is a clash with Drom & Inch tomorrow(Sat) at 6pm in The Ragg. Admission is free. On Tuesday(4th) we play JK Brackens in the Cahill Cup Prelim Quarter Final. This match is in Templemore at 8pm. And on June 14th at 7:30pm in Drombane we face Moycarkey/Borris in the county hurling league.
The mid championship begins this evening(Friday) as we take on Moyne-Templetouhy in Drombane at 7:30pm. Best of luck to the team. Our following game in the championship will be against JK Brackens on June 8th at 7:30pm in Templemore
The first round of the mid junior A hurling championship has been fixed for June 22nd where we will take on Boherlahan Dualla in Boherlahan. Throw in time has yet to be fixed.
Club membership for 2019 is now overdue. Anyone wishing to pay can do so either to club registrar JJ Kinane or online at http://www.upperchurchdrombanegaa.ie/members/ Prices remain unchanged from last year. €20 for all players between the ages of 16 to 18. €30 for all players between the ages of 18 to 21. €60 for all players over 21 years of age. €40 for all non playing members irrespective of age.
An updated range of club merchandise can be purchased from the O’Neills website. The link for the shop is: https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/ireland/upperchurch-drombane-gaa.html
Anyone interested in getting weekly club news and fixtures sent to them via email can subscribe to the mailing list by emailing email@example.com with “Subscribe” in the subject bar.
Do you have a smartphone and want to get news/fixtures and results for the club sent directly to it? Then download the Clubzap(formerly known as Clubify) app(from the Apple App Store, Google Play store or at http://www.clubifyapp.com/download and select “Upperchurch Drombane GAA” from the menu.
Tipperary SH and MH teams for Munster Championship action this weekend
The Tipperary team to play Clare in their Munster Senior Hurling Championship Round 3 fixture on Sunday next, 2nd June at 4pm in Cusack Park, Ennis, has been announced by manager Liam Sheedy.
The team is as follows;
1. Brian Hogan – Lorrha-Dorrha
2. Cathal Barrett – Holycross-Ballycahill
3. James Barry – Upperchurch-Drombane
4. Ronan Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
5. Brendan Maher – Borris-Ileigh
6. Padraic Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
7. Alan Flynn – Kiladangan
8. Noel McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
9. Michael Breen – Ballina
10. Jason Forde – Silvermines
11. John O’Dwyer – Killenaule
12. Patrick Maher – Lorrha-Dorrha
13. John McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
14. Séamus Callanan (Capt.) – Drom-Inch
15. Niall O’Meara – Kilruane MacDonaghs
16. Paul Maher – Moyne-Templetuohy
17. Ger Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
18. Robert Byrne – Portroe
19. Willie Connors – Kiladangan
20. Barry Heffernan – Nenagh Éire Óg
21. Mark Kehoe – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
22. Séamus Kennedy – St. Mary’s
23. Jamie Moloney – Drom-Inch
24. Dan McCormack – Borris-Ileigh
25. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
26. Seán O’Brien – Newport
The Tipperary minor hurling team to play Clare in their Munster Championship Round 3 fixture has also been announced by manager Paul Collins. The following is the match day panel as Tipp go in search of their second win in the current campaign. This match throws in at 2pm in Ennis.
1. Shane Gleeson – Kiladangan
2. Sam Loughran – Ballina
3. Conor O’Dwyer – Cashel King Cormacs
4. Jamie Duncan – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
5. Eoin Marnane – Golden-Kilfeacle
6. Michael Corcoran – Silvermines
7. Ciaran Lloyd – Moyne-Templetuohy
8. Luke Shanahan – Upperchurch-Drombane
9. Conor Ryan – Borrisokane
10. Cathal Deely – St. Mary’s
11. John Campion (Capt.) – Drom-Inch
12. Jack Leamy – Golden-Kilfeacle
13. Colm Fogarty – Lorrha-Dorrha
14. Tony Cahill – Drom-Inch
15. Paudie Kinane – Drom-Inch
16. Paidi Williams – Kilruane MacDonaghs
17. Ed Connolly – Loughmore-Castleiney
18. Paddy Creedon – Thurles Sarsfields
19. Stephen Ferncombe – Clonoulty-Rossmore
20. Ciaran McCormack – Loughmore-Castleiney
21. Conor McKelvey – Silvermines
22. Matthew Power – Ballina
23. Luke Seacy – Roscrea
24. Kyle Shelly – Moycarkey-Borris
Under 14 B North Football Final
Toomevara v Burgess in Shalee Friday 24th May at 7pm
Under 12 Challenge Match
Toomevara v JKBrackens in St. Michael’s Park, Toomevara Saturday 25th May at 6.30pm
Under 16 Seven a side Tournament
In Holycross Saturday 25th May Time TBC
Junior A Final
Toomevara v Nenagh Éire Óg in Kilcolman Sunday 26th May at 6pm
Senior League match
Toomevara v Nenagh Éire Óg in St. Michael’s Park, Toomevara Tuesday 28th May at 7.30pm