An organisation working to end the need for single-use plastic water bottles, a citizen science project empowering people around the country to monitor their local waterways, and a conservation charity preserving Ireland’s biodiversity. These are among the projects, announced by Rethink Ireland, that will receive funding as part of their Glas Communities Fund.
The Glas Communities Fund is a €200,000 Fund created by Rethink Ireland in partnership with Ornua Co-operative Limited and the Department of Rural and Community Development via the Dormant Accounts Fund. The objective of the Fund is to back innovative solutions which are working to build green sustainable communities in Ireland.
The Fund will support five projects. Each Awardee will receive a cash grant and a place on a comprehensive six-month Accelerator Programme, which will focus on equipping the projects to scale, so they can strengthen their impact in their communities.
The five projects who will receive funding are:
- Community Hydration Hub Network Expansion – This Refill Ireland project works with communities to create a cleaner environment by providing complimentary drinking water and removing the need for single-use plastic water bottles.
- CENTENNIAL – This DCU Water Institute project will mobilise citizen scientists to go out and monitor their local waterways. Groups will be trained, equipped, and supported to collect data on their local waterways using a water testing kit and an app.
- Cyclist.ie – Cyclist.ie comprises 27 groups, with 20 based in rural Ireland. Their Rural Cycling Vision aims to make all rural areas bicycle-friendly.
- Exploring and Enhancing Place: This Burrenbeo Trust initiative aims to support people to understand more about their local community through ‘place-based’ learning.
- Green Sod Ireland Environmental Education Project: This project provides educational workshops for local businesses about the importance of protecting our biodiversity.
Pádraic Vallely, Senior Philanthropy & Development Manager at Rethink Ireland, said: “Rethink Ireland would like to congratulate the awardees of the Glas Communities Fund. These organisations are using innovative solutions to promote environmental sustainability in their communities and beyond. Sustainability is integral to the future of Ireland’s growth, and we are calling on like-minded organisations to get in touch and support green transition funding via Rethink Ireland. We look forward to seeing the positive impact the Glas Communities Fund will make in supporting the Awardees to strengthen their impact. We want to thank Ornua for showing leadership on this Fund.
Eva Griffin, Sustainability & CSR Specialist, also added: “Ornua is delighted to support the Glas Communities Fund. Our cooperative ethos is at the heart of who we are and how we do business. As one of Ireland’s leading dairy companies, we fully appreciate the need to protect our environment. The Glas Communities Fund will support the Awardees in the great work they are doing to promote environmental sustainability.”
For more information visit: https://rethinkireland.ie/?post_type=awarded_fund&p=2091