As part of its ongoing 1,2,3 Online Safety Campaign*, the Children’s Rights Alliance is hosting a high-profile Online Safety Conference on Tuesday via Zoom. The conference will bring together leading experts and professionals working in online safety and regulation, as well as digital rights and education.
Leanda Barrington-Leach, Head of EU Affairs at 5Rights Foundation, will provide the keynote speech on the need for, and benefits of, regulation of online platforms. During the youth panel, young people will share their experiences and what action they want to see from industry and Government
The Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill presents an opportunity for Government to deliver these measures, and before this important Bill becomes law the #123OnlineSafety national campaign’s conference is allowing all those outside of Leinster House to have their voices heard.
The #123OnlineSafety national campaign is calling for critical changes in the area of online safety to make the internet a safer and more positive space for children and young people. This includes:
- The establishment of an effectively resourced Online Safety Commissioner with appropriate strong powers
- The inclusion of an individual complaints mechanism so young people and families have somewhere to go for help when a platform does not act efficiently or effectively on an issue
- A strong definition of harm that is clear and independent of the platforms
- Effective and resourced educational and awareness programmes.
Where & when?
The event will take place via a Zoom webinar on Tuesday, 23rd November from 10.30 am to 1.00 pm. Register your place here.
Running order (may be subject to change):
|10.30 am||Welcome by Chair
Tom Maher, Director of Services, St Patrick’s Mental Health Services and Chair of the Children’s Rights Alliance Board
|10.35 am||Introduction to 1,2,3 Online Safety Campaign and Why We Are Here Today
Denise Charlton, CEO of the Community Foundation for Ireland
|10.40 am||Keynote Address: Leanda Barrington-Leach, Head of EU Affairs at 5Rights Foundation plus Q&A|
|11.20 am||Youth panel with representatives from Young Social Innovators, Foróige, Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, National Youth Council
|12.20 pm||Key recommendations from the Oireachtas Committee on Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media’s Report following pre-legislative scrutiny of the General Scheme of the Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill
|12.40 pm||Closing Remarks from Tanya Ward, Chief Executive of the Children’s Rights Alliance & Q&A|
In addition to some young people, the following spokespeople are available for interview:
- Tanya Ward, Chief Executive, Children’s Rights Alliance
- Saoirse Brady, Head of Legal, Policy and Public Affairs, Children’s Rights Alliance
- Alex Cooney, CEO of CyberSafeKids
For more information please contact Sarah at [email protected] / 085 8535647 OR Robyn at [email protected] / 085 800 1275.