carrick temperance

Carrick local asks for help with historical image

By Patsy Travers Mullins‎

Drunkenness was all to common in Ireland in the past and it was no different here in Carrick. Fr. Theobald Matthew temperance reformer launched a campaign to address this problem in 1838.

At its height, just before the Great Famine of 1845-49, his movement enrolled some 3 million people, or more than half of the adult population of Ireland. This man visited Carrick in 1840 and preached on the Green. His visit was used for a renewal of social well being in Carrick. Recognising that the cause of excessive drinking often arose from the need for recreational facilities and derives from boredom. It was suggested that a Temperance Hall be built to provide a recreational centre of an ‘improving kind’ and also a Loan Bank, a Savings Bank and a Mechanics Institute. This building is now the Town Hall.

This temperance club must have been as success as this photo shows the members in Sonny Cash’s photo here in about 1915. It would have been great if someone had written down the names of the men pictured here but it seems unlikely that this happened.

I’m trying to name the people in the photograph. I don’t know know the location it was taken. I’m calling on people from Carrick who may know more to assist me in finding out more about this image and the people who are in the image. Comment on the article with any information you may have.

Posted

in

by

Tags: