Life began to spiral out of control. I felt physically ill – Paddy O’Donoghue talks to Tipperary Times about Mental Health

“Talking is a sign of strength, not one of weakness”. Paddy O’Donoghue talks to Tipperary Times about promoting mental health awareness.

That was the message today as Clonmel resident Paddy O’Donoghue spoke to Tipperary Times. Paddy has been in contact with various local media over the past few days. He is raising awareness of a petition in Clonmel tomorrow to raise awareness of mental health and also to highlight the need for more acute mental health beds around the country.

paddy o donoghue

While speaking to Tipperary Times today, Paddy spoke from the heart. His harrowing story describes how he twice attempted to take his own life. As a typical country man, Paddy felt it was time to share his story to encourage people who may be experiencing difficulties to “Please Talk to a friend or anyone” and to encourage people as “even the darkest night has a dawn”.

Back in 2001, Paddy was going through some difficult times. He knew everything wasn’t right but couldn’t pinpoint the issue. “There was a stigma with being depressed. I went to the doctor and he told me I was suffering from depression, he often said it. I just didn’t want to know, I never listened to him”.

Things began to take a turn for the worse for Paddy and he explained that his “life began to spiral out of control. I felt physically ill”. Not wanting to know of potential pent up depression, Paddy stated he was neglectful of the feelings he was having and didn’t act in time.

Breakthecycle

Paddy’s depression was manifested as anxiety. While at work, he became fearful of his own emotions. The anxiety left him on edge, and this impacted on several roles. At night, he had to go to another room where he broke down. He wasn’t able to share his emotions with his family.

The fall-back position in many of these episodes was alcohol. “I’d go to the pub on a Friday and wouldn’t come home till Monday. I used to tell my wife that I was wrecked from a hangover that I had to stay in bed. It was the excuse I needed. I just wanted to be alone. At that stage I was in complete denial. I used to go to the doctor regularly with stomach issues, I was physically ill. The doctor told me again that I potentially had depression. I just didn’t want to hear it, I ignored him”

Speaking of the times in his life where life seemed most dark, Paddy was brutally honest. “You go through a whirl wind of emotions. You’re not thinking clearly and you never think of the destruction that it would cause. You don’t know who to turn to”. Speaking also of personal circumstances at the time, Paddy explained that there was much grief within his family with 5 cousins passing away in a short 10 years. Just last year, a cousin took his own life which left Paddy with the “worst depression” he has experienced.

Paddy had two options, one was a dark option, and the other was to get help. “The key to this was acceptance. I had to accept I needed help, that I needed to talk to my friends and family”. The support he received from his family was “unbelievable”

Jobs changed as Paddy struggled on but he was full of praise for the constant light in his life, his wife and children. Paddy was also very grateful for the support he received from Boston Scientific.

Paddy has a clear message he is trying to get across to people who might find themselves in a dark place. “Talk to someone. If it is a family member, a friend or a stranger, we are all here to help”

Paddy is also campaigning for more supports for mental health organisation and for more beds to be made available. Paddy is also campaigning for the reopening of St Michaels hospital in Clonmel who provide such a vital resource to the Tipperary Community.

From an editorial perspective, our chat with Paddy, while difficult was honest. The challenges which people of Tipperary go through on a day to day basis needs support. If you don’t know who to get in touch with, and if you want to talk, give the Samaritans a call on 116 123. They are a confidential service who are here to help.

Posted

in

by