000590c9 642

Debate: Should the current bin charges structure be changed?

The following is a debate between two contributors regarding the new fee structure for Bin Charges in Ireland. The debate follows an article in the Irish Independent “Larger families to face bill hike as ‘pay-by-weight’ bin charges on way
bin charges
Mike – The introduction of this bin charges is an attack on the poor and marginalised in Ireland. This is not something that should have to be paid and those who can afford to pay should. Debate around waste and recycling is needed, but the burden of cost, the reality face by the poorest in society has to be taken into account
The State needs to recognise that for many the struggle to feed clothe and warm their families overwhelming
Paddy –  Absolute rubbish Mike. Dublin and other places already pays by weight. I believe it’s time to look at our record on %waste dumped vs %recycled. Pointing the finger simply at a higher cost for mass dumping of waste is nonsense. If people dump they are ignorant of what can be achieved by reducing, reusing and recycling. Attitudes need to change. Look at our waste generation levels per capita vs that of the rest of Europe. Little Green Ireland is built on a mountain of waste. It’s time political opportunists look at positive changes from policies like this. If people separate waste correctly, they will save money every month. I appreciate anarchy and a call for revolution, but believe it or not, something like this bin charge restructuring is the right decision and proper order it was introduced
Mike –Paddy, it is a simple fact that this will and already does put the poor in society under even more financial pressure, surely recycling must remain free, the county councils are actually paid by the recycling companies for this waste by the tonne.
Paddy – The poor have a responsibility to the environment as much as everyone else. It’s high time economic circumstances are not an excuse for abstention from responsibilities as a citizen. The debate must be had on recycling, perhaps bring back the free green bin, but large fines if people don’t recycle properly. The amount of waste we produce is a global disgrace. Don’t shun our responsibilities with such a feeble argument. I stand with you for many issues, but on this we differ
Mike – Nobody advocates the shunning of responsibility, however why should the poor bare the brunt at such a high rate, this always goes back to the economic responsibility of the state, the Multinationals, the economic failure of a ruling class, who impose so much on the poorest in society, corporate tax rates that are not even paid, by many of the wealthiest companies, yet the State will penalise the poorest over double taxation, hike waste bin charges, water charges etc.etc. of course the conversation on recycling must and should be had, however so must the conversation on the burden placed on the less well off and how big business, the economic elite and the ruling class
Paddy – Mike, the ruling class argument applies for taxation. Does that mean the poor should pay a lower unit rate for electricity, for gas, for food? If you use a service you have to pay for it. I earn more than some, I pay more USC, PAYE and PRSI also. The multinationals and the state can’t pay for everything. If you use a service you should pay. Healthcare and Education are different, but that’s not your argument. If it was I’d agree with you that we must fund our hospitals schools and colleges. But bins are bins Mike, encourage recycling. Look for solutions. Not every issue is a conspiracy
Mike – The problem Paddy is the Economic elite do NOT pay their fair share, and everything stems from there
Paddy – They have to pay Greyhound, Panda and other providers the same way I do. They pay the same rate for their waste as I do… The discussion is Waste Mike, the “economic elite” if taxed more should be used for hospitals, education, roads, public transport. It would be a national disgrace if it was used for “Bin Charges”. The argument Mike is null and void. I’ve done a lot of research into the amount of waste we produce and have no sympathy for people complaining about this. I agree there should be an addendum to keep the Green Bin “free per lift” but the reality is the fee for the green bin was previously incorporated into the Black Bin fee. That is to say, you can’t just get a Green Bin and free bin service
What is your opinion? Comment Below

Posted

in

by